Friday, December 4, 2009

Easy Does It


It’s absolutely true what they say: it’s much easier the second time around. My delivery with Sam was horrendous – after pushing for three hours he was delivered with help from a pair of forceps, which required two docs to maneuver. There was a team of pediatricians waiting for him in the wings because he’d been in so much distress, and even though Sam was just fine and I eventually recovered, the experience was seared into my memory (and not in a good way!)

Needless to say, I had some anxiety about going through labor and delivery again. It kept me up at night and became painfully clear when I burst into tears after learning our induction time was moved up by five hours.

Well all my worry was for not. Elliott’s delivery was smooth sailing all the way. I loved my nurses, really loved my epidural, and in spite of some nervousness, pushing was pretty easy too. Elliott came roaring into the world after just 15 minutes!

Now we’re resting and relaxing in room 1164. Between the nurse call button and four hours of uninterrupted sleep last night I feel like I’m at a five-star resort. The only downside is how terribly I miss little Sam. Given H1N1 concerns, they aren’t letting anyone under the age of 18 in the hospital, so Sam’s at home with Grandma and Grandpa. It will be so great to see him tomorrow and introduce him to baby Elliott.
Our last night with the bump:
My first glimpse of Elliott:
Proud Papa:

Big yawn...

2 comments:

april said...

Congrats Katie (and Steve) - he's just beautiful!

Heidi said...

Did you think that you wouldn't be able to love anyone as much as Sam? And now you have little Elliot...and the love just explodes from you! Congrats and you will do just wonderful, I know it!