Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Days Gone By

A colleague at work had a baby boy a couple weeks ago and she writes a terrific blog all about her foray into parenthood. It’s made me think a lot about the first few weeks after Sam arrived on the scene. It’s amazing how quickly the details slip away – blame it on sleep deprivation -- and hearing her talk about labor and delivery, their hospital stay and the first night at home has brought back a flood of memories.

The early days are amazing, and looking back they really do set the tone for parenthood. You revel in the small victories and you can literally feel a fountain of love springing up inside you. At the same time, the exhaustion is so overwhelming, it’s sheer will that gets you through some of those first days and nights (I’m told the teenage years will be another test of our will).

I guess I’m just suddenly struck by how fast you go from perfecting a swaddle to chasing a toddler! I wish I could press pause for a little while.





For those who haven’t seen enough of our vacation, here’s more (apologies about the music choice).

No comments: